Obesity is been a common problem in today’s time and people seek for various different methods to get relief from it. They try different exercises and medicines to get slim and fit, but found not much effective. Here comes the role of weight loss surgery, which has become a successful method to treat obesity instantly. Before anyone decides for obesity surgery, here you will get to know the types of obesity surgery.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: In this type of surgery, a portion of the stomach is removed to make the patient feel lightweight. This type is known as one of the effective treatments for all obese people even for teenagers and children. Mostly surgeons practice this type of surgery as it is effective and free from long term side effects.
- Duodenal Switch: This type is quite similar to sleeve gastrectomy in which a portion of stomach is removed with additional route to the small intestine. The surgery divides large portion of the small intestine into two, which joins to a common channel. The part, which is short in length carries food and other lengthy part carries bile secreted by the liver which gets mixed in the common channel. After the partition, food is been mixed with bile and gets digested before entering the large intestine, this process helps in absorbing maximum calories which results in weight loss.
- Roux-en-Y: The name given to this type of weight loss surgery is on the name of first surgeon Cesar Roux. This method created a shape of “Y” by making segment of the stomach. This type is commonly used as a gastric bypass. After this type of surgery, stomach resembles a shape of an egg. The patient may feel full stomach much sooner as the size of the stomach is reduced. This surgery will help you to avoid eating habits more easily.
- Biliopancreatic Diversion: This type is known as the most complicated process as it removes the complete lower part of the stomach. The small top portion of the stomach is directly connected to the last part of the small intestine. This type of surgery is not preferred mostly. The reason due to which Patient has to face nutritional deficiency, this surgery is not used much.
- Vertical Banded Gastroplasty: This type of surgery is preferred by the patients who want to have restricted surgery of any part of the body not complete removal. It was used when other successful types were not introduced. Now, surgeons rarely practice such type. Another reason of not using this type of surgery is that patients are not able to follow strict diet prescribed after the surgery.
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding: This type of surgery is different from other types as it does not process any removal of fat rather a lap is bind over the upper portion of the stomach. These bands hold the food in the stomach and helps in proper digestion of the food. Ultimately, help the person to absorb complete calories.
There are many other obesity surgeries than above mentioned. Take time and think before you decide any weight loss surgery.